Thursday, February 9, 2012

Where Do I Begin?!

     Well, 3 glasses of wine in to my exciting Saturday evening in (grading papers online and waiting for my husband to come home from work), I decided to finally look over my colleague Stephanie J.’s blog page. She had told me about the wonderful women she shared her lap band experiences with via blog pages, as well as the amazing time you all had together in Chicago this past year, but nothing could have prepared me for what I saw on your site today. I am floored. I have only read about 4 or 5 recent postings by members but I must say that I am really amazed at the extraordinary stories you all share. I am a Facebook member but, aside from the superficial status updates I occasionally post, I have never written a blog before and I have NEVER posted such personal information on the internet… especially for others to see whom I have never even met before! :)


     As I told Stephanie, I have not had a lap band surgery. However, I have experienced extreme weight loss (over 100 pounds!) and wanted to start blogging so that I can: 1) be part of a support group of women who have been successful in their weight loss efforts and 2) join you all this year on your next trip to meet women across the country who have persevered and reclaimed their own health through extraordinary measures. Although I am not technically a ‘band’ babe, I hope you all will accept me in to your tight-knit group because I would honestly be honored to associate myself with such strong, motivated, beautiful women!


     To share a bit about myself, I have always been a ‘chunky monkey’, since I was at least 6 years old when my parents moved us back home to the U.S. I was born in Massachusetts and lived in England/Germany for my first 5-6 years. THEN, my parents wanted me to come ‘home’ to start grade school. I came home as skinny as a rail and white as a ghost (not a whole lot of sun-bathing and gratuitous snacking happening in England back in the 80’s). Unfortunately, I met my fate of becoming a typical American: I was obsessed with food at every social event and constantly asking myself the question, “What can I eat next?”


     So, to make a long story short, I fattened up pretty quickly. My mom could (or never wanted to) say no to me.


     Well, needless to say, I passed out after my last sentence (and I think FOURTH glass of wine!). Great, for those of you who don’t know me very well, which is pretty much all of you at this point, now think that I’m an alcoholic! Oh well! :) I hope you love me anyway!


     To go into a bit of my weight loss journey, I started almost 4 years ago (next month). I went to my annual OB-GYN check-up. He took my blood pressure and said I could pretty much stroke out at any moment. I think it was in the 160s/100s. He also delivered my daughter over one year before that appointment and told me that I would not be here on this earth much longer if I continued my eating habits and path of self-destruction. He pretty much scared the crap out of me.


     I went running straight to the ER. I had also been having chest pains (a new stressful job and raising my first child, buying my first home, etc.) WELL, in case you didn’t already know this, if you go into the ER and tell them you are having chest pains they take that VERY seriously! (I really had no idea!) So, a lot of testing and 3 or 4 hours later (EKGs, chest x-rays, etc.), they said I was fine… just overweight (thank you, Captain Obvious!)


     After a LOT of crying with my husband and my parents while I was gowned up in the hospital, I headed home. I also suffered from some back pain around this time too (attempted spinal gone wrong during my c-section with my daughter). I knew I couldn’t really ‘hit the gym hard’ (also knee problems), but there was one thing I could do… STOP PUTTING JUNK IN MY MOUTH. Let me tell you, everything came to a SCREECHING halt. I mean, NO more junk food at all: no cupcakes, no candy, no sweets, no soda, no ice cream, no chips (one of my MAJOR weaknesses)… if it didn’t have some solid nutritional value, there was no way in hell I would eat it. I valued my LIFE. I wanted to life for myself and for my daughter. I was done.


     In spite of everyone around me continuing on about their business as usual by eating their normal junk food, leaving cakes in the refrigerator right in FRONT of my fat face, I persevered. I consumed about 1,000 calories per day. I ate to live, not lived to eat. Guess what?! It worked!!! I didn’t document my journey as well as many of you have done in your blogs with charts or diaries. I never had a SPECIFIC goal in mind- a ‘number’. My only goal was health and to LIVE.


     At my heaviest, when I gave birth to my daughter, I weighed 315 pounds. At my lowest (before I just got pregnant with my baby boy), I was down to 169!!! That is the smallest I had been since MIDDLE SCHOOL. It was crazy! I felt great- on top of the world! I was working out 2-3 times per week IN THE GYM (imagine that!) and eating more of the types of foods I wanted because my metabolism was on a RAMPAGE!


     Now, here is where you guys come in! :) Obviously, when you’re pregnant, you gain weight, which I CERTAINLY did. After my son was born July 2010, I lost almost all of it in 2 months (I started eating right and was breastfeeding). But, I have been on quite the holiday rollercoaster at my house. Sweets and junk galore! I have managed to stay pretty reasonable but the scale is going up again (it was 180 this morning) and I am getting extremely discouraged. I don’t even really know if I want to LOSE weight, so calorie restriction isn’t really the answer… but I am definitely not in my health zone like I was when I was losing. I have to get back there…


     Ok, well, I think that’s my first blog. I mean, I can’t possibly give you my life story in 2 pages!!!  I really hope that I haven’t lost all of you readers at this point. I told Stephanie I feel like I am crashing on your guys’ blog. I have just heard such great things about all of you and the support you provide one another and I would love to be a part of it. Ok, I’m going to start stalking… I mean, FOLLOWING, all of you guys now :) I hope you’ll follow me too. MORE to come! :)

23 comments:

Steph said...

Yeah!! So glad you posted your first blog...welcome to one of the best support systems around!!! :)

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

I LOVE your FIRST blog! And I LOVE that you don't have a band cuz now I'm not the lone wolf! I don't have one either but want to secretly steal everyones! LOL You'll fit right in! Can't wait to meet you in Chicago! And PS - can you reach over and hug Steffy for me? Tell her it's from Draz and that I love her!

Read said...

Well, hi there Jen - welcome!!!

What a great first post - you've totally set the bar up high for entertainment value. Perhaps wine should be a requirment for all posts... I know it helps me to no end!!

Band schmand - it's totally not a requirement. Congratulations on your incredible journey so far and I look forward to continuing getting to know you!!

Lap Band Gal said...

Hi! Stephanie led me to your blog. Blogs are an AWESOME form of accountability as well as a great way to gain and give support to others.

I am your newest follower. I will check back often to see how you're doing :-)

~Sandi @ This one time at 'band' camp... said...

Hi Jen, welcome! Congrats on your journey and hard work, we are all here for you.

Jen said...

Welcome to our little home on the WWW!! So nice to meet you. I love your first blog, and am blown away by your strong drive to lose that weight for your life! I know you can get back to where you want to be. Can't wait to meet you. I've heard wonderful things about you from our little Georgia Peach, Stef.

Justawallflower said...

Welcome to the group! So happy to have you and to follow your story.

Sandy said...

Stephan sent out a secret email to a bunch of us. Just the kind of good things she does. Welcome to blogging. If little 'old' me can do it so can you. You will be amazed at all the things you will find out about yourself by being, well, you. I am just sorry I won't be able to make it to Chicago this year but there will be so many others there to welcome you with open arms.

And when you get to be my age you will be rejoicing, as I am, that you are alive to plan and attend your daughter's wedding. Congrats on losing and keeping off the weight.

Mar's kids said...

Welcome! and congratulations on your successes in weight loss and for joining the blogging circle! You already sound like an inspiration and I'm happy to be following a friend of Stephanie's :)

~Miss Lorie~ said...

Hey this is Lorie! I love your first blog and I'm excited to start following you!
http://ijusatemywillpower.blogspot.com/

Keep it up!

Maria said...

Hi Jen! Congrats on your awesome weight loss!! There's definitely a couple other unbanded BOOBs around here, so welcome!

kagead said...

Welcome to our world! I am part of BOOBS and Steph made sure you were on my radar screen. You'll find out quickly that I am the world's worst blogger and commenter, but I wish you all the best. This is an amazing group and I know you'll fit right in!

Unknown said...

Great entry!

I don't have a band or a sleeve or anything like that either. I'm not quite half-way in my journey yet, highest weight of 307, started seriously in Sept at 287, and I'm currently 236 (I'm on a scale strike for a month right now, so that may not be 100% accurate).

Welcome to blogging!! I'm pretty new to this myself as I just started at the end of December!! I'm excited to hear more about your journey. You can read about mine here: http://themegan2project.blogspot.com/

Megan

Gilly said...

Welcome Jen! Well...super impressed with your loss! I HAVE a band and I can't do 1000 calories a day!

PS: I like you BETTER because of the wine!

Anonymous said...

Welcome Jen! Congrats on the last 4 years and cheers to the next 4! Blips go by a little bit easier with these BOOBS around, that is for certain! :)

Enyonam said...

Welcome. I'm definitely following your blog. :-)

Cindylew said...

Nicely done on your first post and welcome to the tribe. Congrats on your success. Most of us had similar experiences but were never able to keep it off before the lap band. At least that's my story.

Lap Band Groupie said...

Hi there! Can't wait to follow your story here! Great first blog...it's the start of lots of support coming your way, and boy does that help! WELCOME!!!

-LBG

Jen M. said...

Thank you all so much for all the love! I cannot wait to read all your blogs and get to know each one of you better! :)

Sarah said...

Wow. What an impressive weight loss and without a band too. You must have some will power.

Welcome to blogland.
http://fatontheinsideuk.blogspot.com/

Theresa said...

Hi and Welcome, Stephanie sent me over. We have such a great system of support here. Glad to have you join us!

Laura Belle said...

Hi there!! I got your blog from Stephanie's blog. I'm not banded either! I just wanted to be healthier, and to lose a few pounds. i struggle with junk food a lot. A LOT! But this group of crazies, I mean women, are fantastic! I hooked up with them thru Draz and it's been the best support system ever!

Looking forward to more posts!!
www.beerdogsandhealth.blogspot.com

Jacquie said...

Hi Jen! I don't have a band either...I did and now I don't. I had my band removed over the summer (same doc as Stephanie by the way) and revised to Vertical Sleeve Gastrectromy, otherwise known as The Sleeve).

More than any WLS, blogging with this group of sisters is what helped get me to goal/maintenance. They have been there for me through the worst of times believe me!

Welcome! For some reason your followers button is not working and I can't follow. Go to my blog and follow me and I will come back to see if your "button" is working.